This step-by-step program was originally created for students of our Make Books Now! Indie Publisher Training & Action Program through School of the Free Mind. We are now offering it as a workbook whether or not you’re enrolled in the school.
While valuable on its own, classroom subscription is encouraged to get the full benefit from it including access to recorded webinars, support forums, additional resources, templates and more. View the Make Books Now course page for more details about each step and some sample videos and worksheets.
This workbook/program helps you create and publish:
- a 32 page 8×10 full color paperback book (additional discussion also provided on hardcover option)
- – You’ll use either IngramSpark or CreateSpace as your print on demand (POD) printer
- – Word count will range from 0-2000 words depending on your audience
It also assists in understanding:
- the steps to setup a simple self-publishing business
- the differences between the two largest POD printers, IngramSpark or CreateSpace and the pros/cons of each
- what an ISBN is and how to get one
- how to run a simple crowdfunding campaign
- how to hire/contract an illustrator and/or designer
- outreach and marketing your book
- and more!
Each Step has 6-12+ pages of information and 1-2 action/assignment worksheet(s) with specific to-do items. Classroom access also gets you the recorded webinars for each step that go over all the worksheets in greater detail as well as tons of other additional resources including the InDesign Templates for the program. (For students enrolled in the school, the worksheets from this book are also available to print yourself or you can use your student discount for 15% off the printed workbook)
The workbook and program was designed to take place over the course of 10 months with the goal of publishing a book within a year. Ultimately YOU (as the indie publisher!) can decide how fast or slow you would like to work through each step. This workbook uses a 10 month calendar (Feb-Nov) as a guide and template for estimating how much time is needed at each step. Additional blank calendars can be found in the back should you want to set your own schedule.
Without classroom access, you may need additional assistance around writing and illustrating your story as well as creating InDesign templates and print-ready files. We do have some free resources on the school website and hiring editors, illustrators and/or designers can also assist you with these areas.