The kids of the gender team are ready to show you the way, are you ready to color, learn, and play? Inside you’ll find stories, pictures, games and more to encourage and remind you that you are free to be!
Gender is something relevant to all of us because we all express gender. You may or may not be transgender. You may or may not know a transgender child. The truth is that doesn’t matter. We are all on this planet together. GENDER NOW is meant to provide reflection and support unity by showing multiple genders standing together. It is a specific opportunity to create balance and awareness by including gender expressions that are under-represented in our current culture. Also available in a School Edition Activity Book.
Gender Now Includes:
- Adult support for parents, educators, and community in how to hold multiple gender perspectives (original coloring book only – school edition offers link to teaching guide)
- Information about open gender expression and the concept of the Gender wheel to read with your child
- Images of children of various genders (in their natural state in the original coloring book, clothed in the school edition) and in imaginative or active settings
- Playful activities for children (and adults) to explore your own gender expression
- Information about transgender history and gender in nature
- Images and stories of transgender ancestors and animals
- Referrals and resources to support transgender awareness (original coloring book only – school edition offers additional activities for children and link to teaching guide)
- 52 pages beautifully illustrated by award-winning children’s book artist and author Maya Christina Gonzalez
Praise for Gender Now:
“The Gender Now Coloring Book has been an indispensable tool in our work to create more gender inclusive and accepting schools. Its various themes, images and activities provide a wonderful foundation for expanding the perspectives of students, teachers and parents about the amazing diversity of gender. More than simply exploring gender in its many dimensions, The Gender Now Coloring Book is a celebration of children in all of their authentic glory. Thank you for such a valuable contribution to greater acceptance and freedom for all children.” -Joel Baum, Director, Education and Training, Gender Spectrum
I work in a cross-section between elementary education and gender/sexuality studies, and I find that your Gender Now Coloring Book is one of the best pedagogical tools teachers can have (love your other books like [Call Me Tree], as well). Almost nobody gets it right, but you do. What a wonderful opportunity to help children see themselves and others, create a space for trying on different identities until they find one that “fits” (or more than one 😊). What great resources for helping all of us understand the range of gender in all it’s wonderful complexity in ways that challenge us to move beyond binaries. Thank you, Maya!”-Educator
Need help deciding which version (original coloring book or school edition) to purchase? Check out the FAQs tab above.
**Note to Parents/Teachers: Know your comfort zone. To make the most powerful, informative, and body-positive coloring book, children in the original coloring book are shown at times with no clothes. We believe that children are very curious about their bodies and wish to support children in feeling empowered in themselves thereby reducing (and eventually eliminating) any shame attached to having a body that may be different than what is considered “normal” for a boy or girl. We feel that informed children are empowered children. If you do not feel comfortable talking to your children about bodies (all different kinds) this coloring book may not be for you. You may wish to instead purchase the school edition activity book. Although we do encourage you to consider stretching just a little beyond your comfort zone and growing along with your child.