A Powerful Tool for Social Change. Children’s books offer the potential to engage all of our creative faculties to transform the stories we, as people of color, queer, or indigenous people heard as children that often did not include us. Using a holistic approach, creating children’s books can heal and strengthen the creator as much as the reader.
This is the potential power available through children’s books and what we want to seed out into our communities. The 3 R’s—Reflection, Reclamation and Regeneration—help us envision a full and effective path of action that ultimately supports true power rising from our communities in the form of our OWN VOICES.
How WE Make Children's Books a Radical Act:
How YOU can Make Children's Books a Radical Act:
- SUPPORT INDIE PRESSES!
- Buy Books (and Posters and Stickers) through our Press and other presses like ours or ask your local indie bookstore to order
- Join our mailing list for updates on what we're doing
- Read More about two of the Indie Presses we're aligned with
- MAKE YOUR OWN BOOKS!
- INSPIRE FUTURE ARTISTS AND STORYTELLERS!
- Empower the kids in your life to Write Now! Make Books! Visit our free online program, download your field guide and follow along with the videos.
- The Time is Now. Let's flood the world with our voices
- Is Equality in the Children’s Book Industry Possible? And Do We Have Time to Wait?
- 3-Part Blog Series: A State of Emergency in Children's Books
- We Are Stronger Together: Aligning with Other Indie Presses
- Let’s Talk about Reparations: What Does the Publishing Industry Owe Our Kids?
Where we stand as of 2016 in U.S. Children’s Book Industry:
Statistics from the Cooperative Children's Book Center (CCBC)
Where we should be if POC&Indigenous authors were telling our own stories:
How the last 11 years (& beyond) has impacted us:
Graphics from our Radical Act Campaign with 2015 CCBC Statistics:
A Look at the Last 10 Years (up to 2015):