A Powerful Tool for Social Change. Children’s books offer the potential to engage all of our creative faculties to transform the stories we, as people of color, queer, or indigenous people heard as children that often did not include us. Using a holistic approach, creating children’s books can heal and strengthen the creator as much as the reader.
This is the potential power available through children’s books and what we want to seed out into our communities. The 3 R’s—Reflection, Reclamation and Regeneration—help us envision a full and effective path of action that ultimately supports true power rising from our communities in the form of our OWN VOICES.
How WE Make Children's Books a Radical Act:
School of the Free Mind
Online School to RECLAIM.We offer children’s book courses to support new authors and illustrators through a holistic approach that engages the whole person and centers our communities in the book making & publishing process.
Write Now! Make Books
Kids Program to REGENERATE.We aim to support future storytellers to retain and hone their natural storytelling and artistic abilities with a free online program for kids and families.
How YOU can Make Children's Books a Radical Act:
- SUPPORT INDIE PRESSES!
- Buy Books (and Posters and Stickers) through our Press and other presses like ours or ask your local indie bookstore to order
- Join our mailing list for updates on what we're doing
- Read More about two of the Indie Presses we're aligned with
- MAKE YOUR OWN BOOKS!
- INSPIRE FUTURE ARTISTS AND STORYTELLERS!
- Empower the kids in your life to Write Now! Make Books! Visit our free online program, download your field guide and follow along with the videos.
- Is Equality in the Children’s Book Industry Possible? And Do We Have Time to Wait?
- 3-Part Blog Series: A State of Emergency in Children's Books
- We Are Stronger Together: Aligning with Other Indie Presses
- Let’s Talk about Reparations: What Does the Publishing Industry Owe Our Kids?
To Be Equitable TODAY:
A Look at the Last 10 Years: